Monday, December 13, 2004

Rule 5 Draft

The Nationals gained two players (they were the only team to draft in the 2nd round) and lost one. As Bryan noted in the comments, Jonathan Searles was taken by his Cubbies (although I can't seem to find a media report of it - does anyone have confirmation? - was he in the minor league portion of the draft?). Truthfully, I know very little about him. He was a Pirates draft pick a while back (I looked it up and he was drafted in the 8th round in '99). He seems to have quite an extensive injury history as I can't find a record of him pitching consistently. He has a high 80's fastball and his plus pitch is a changeup. So, take it for what its worth. I don't think the Nationals will miss him, but the information is so limited on him that I can't say anything for sure.

The Nationals draft picks were a bit odd, IMO. First, the Nationals took Tyrell Godwin from the Jays and then Tony Blanco from the Reds.

I found this scouting report on Godwin and this is his PECOTA card from last year. Basically, he is a no power, super speedy OF. He hit a measly .253/.326/.355 in AA last year. He will probably be a pinch runner for the Nationals and he could serve that role well give his speed. However, he is unlikely to contribute much and will probably be a wasted roster spot.

Tony Blanco isn't much better. He has played 3B, but most recently was switched to 1B and OF. Given those are the positions at which the Nationals have the most players, Blanco may not see any playing time. He hit .245/.300/.455 in 58 games after being promoted to AA. Frankly, he looks like he isn't ready to help at all. I think Bowden just wanted a pick from the Reds.

I hope neither player sticks, but I guess Godwin could serve a limited role. However, I said I'd wait to evaluate the Pascucci move until I knew what his roster space was being used for. Now that I know, I would rather have Pascucci back.



5 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Here's your list:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2004_rule_5_draft.pdf

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Washington Baseball said...

I'm not that bright - I couldn't find the link to the list on the MLB site. I'll have to look over the other minor league picks. Either way, I have very little information for you.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Mike said...

My name is Mike Berquist and I have a blog devoted to my favorite team, the Phillies. I was checking out other blogs and I came cross yours. I wanted to ask if you'd be willing to check out my site and put in a link to mine on your site. I'd be happy to reciprocate.

Title: A Citizens Blog
http://philliesblog.blogspot.com

Contact me at citizensblog@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Thanks,

Mike

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Washington Baseball said...

Since you brought it up, I will admit my idiocy here and plead for help. I haven't linked to any other cites because I honestly don't know how to do it. If anyone can explain to me how to do it (or actually do it for me), I'd love the help. I know it involves editing the template, but I couldn't figure out where in the template I should be changing things. I'm looking to link all of the Nationals Blogs and would be happy to add any other baseball blog links as well. Anyway, I'm new to blogging, so any help would be appreciated.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger John said...

Send me an email, and I'll send you instructions. viega@securesoftware.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home