Monday, November 29, 2004

Another Trade (Yawn)

And just to keep his dialing finger active, Bowden has made another boring trade. The Nationals give up prospect (using the term very loosely) Antonio Sucre for former prospect J.J. Davis of the Pirates. Davis had been designated for assignment so the Pirates had no interest in keeping him. He adds another OF player to the mix for the Nationals, but I doubt (and hope) he won't see much action. His career line of .163/.236/.213 (in only 80 AB) makes Endy Chavez look impressive. But I bet his 6'5", 250 lbs. frame looks impressive. The Nationals gave up a toolsy borderline prospect, so maybe taking a chance on Davis isn't a bad idea. I just don't think corner OF is a position where the Nationals have much need and Bowden's focus there is a little odd.

2 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey -

Davis is actually a nifty little bounty for a scrub like Sucre. He's got at least a 10% chance of becoming Jose Guillen, at a much reduced price. His AAA numbers actually weren't that bad. Bowden's first good move...?

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?Name=ECAJ

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Washington Baseball said...

I don't disagree that he has limited upside and don't feel this is a bad move overall (mostly because the cost was next to nothing). However, I'm not really sure he is worth a roster spot when the team has too many corner OF's already. I also think the comparisons to Guillen are misplaced. Jose was a Rule 5 pick that suffered in the way lots of Rule 5 players do. He eventually caught on, but his development path was different for a very particular reason. Davis, on the other hand, has a lifetime AAA BB/K ratio of 38/113. His SLG in the minors was nice, but I'm doubtful that he can handle major league pitching enough to make his power worthwhile. At best, I think he turns into Wily Mo Pena. That wouldn't be bad, but I think even that is unlikely. Overall, I think the trade is ok because the cost is low, I just think the team needs to start focusing on pitching. So, yes I would call the trade "good," but I'd say its impact is next to zero (hence the "Yawn" in the title).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home